Sunday, June 30, 2013

Amore per Il Almafi Costa

A few weekends ago I boarded a bus along with three other students on my study abroad and headed off to the beautiful Almafi Coast. We had decided to go on this trip with a group called bus2alps that puts together excursion trips for study abroad students. It was an amazing trip. The first day we were up bright and early and took a ferri to the island of Capri where we boarded a second boat for a private tour around the island. It was absolutely gorgeous! 


During the tour we got to see some caves, the outside of the white and green grottos, and these very famous "love rocks" pictured below. We also stopped at the blue grotto where we got into little tiny row boats that took us inside. It was like nothing I have ever seen before. Beautiful, words escape me.


Once we made it to Capri we were very warm since it was in the mid 90s so we stopped for their famous granitas which was basically the best thing I have ever tasted. Upon order the fruit is freshly squeezed into your cup in a delicious mixture. This man is my hero.


 Then after the group all managed to get together we took buses up to AnaCapri. There we had the best Caprese Pizza ever, walked around and looked at all the little shops, and took this amazing chairlift up the to the top of the mountain. Although the chair lift was a little scary, it was so beautiful. You could see the entire island. This is me on the chiar lift:

 That night we went out for dinner in Sorrento, and also went to a beer garden there. It was a lot of fun, a lot of dancing, expensive drinks, and very American. We had a fun time, but called it an early night so we would be bright eyed and bushy tailed for the next day.

The next day we went to Positano, which is a little coastal town with a fabulous black sand beach. We swam in the salty Mediterranean, sunbathed, and ate panini's before heading to the boat outing. Six of us got into a little boat with a very nice driver. He took us to the place that had cliff jumping, which we did. I guess if all my friends were jumping off cliffs, I would too...sorry Mom. After a little while we swam back to the boat and climbed aboard to head to the caves. Here we again jumped off the boat and took a swim through these amazing caves. It was crazy and amazing and like nothing I have ever seen before. Afterwards we got some gelato and did a little browsing before heading back to our hotel.


The next day we packed up and boarded the buses to head to Pompeii. This is what I had been truly excited for. I had read a lot about Pompeii and was ecstatic at the prospect of seeing it in person. We had decided to do the guided tour so we got a guide and went through all the ruins. It was crazy to me how much was there, and how much we can learn from it. I was also really stunned by the number of stone penises that we saw! They are in the sidewalks and the buildings and apparently pointed the way to the brothels...never read about that in any of my books! 


 Pictured below are some of the ruins with Mount Vesuvius in the background.


Overall it was an amazing trip, and I am really glad we decided to go. Every day I am just stunned by what I am seeing and completely astounded by how lucky I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment