Monday, June 17, 2013

5 terre

Cinque Terre is a string of five little villages along the Mediterranean Coast in northern-ish Italy. The five villages are scattered amongst the mountains and the effect if very enchanting. I absolutely loved Cinque Terre, although my out of shape leg muscles may not have :)
The southernmost town, Riomaggiore, is where we stayed. Our hostel was at the very top of the hill and there were about one thousand and twenty stairs on the way there. Needless to say by the time we made it my luggage felt heavy, and I was already warm and sweaty. Then we quickly changed and headed out on the breath taking hike through the mountains to each town, Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso. We left around 1 and made it to the last town around 7. The hiking was crazy, but so worth it and beautiful! The picture below is our "victory" picture after making it up a particularly bad mountain. 
I thought all the sail boats were charming :) There was also on this pier at the time a little boy throwing a line in, and gathered around him were several older men and shouting excitedly and encouraging him on. I thought it was a great scene that portrayed the lifestyle of Chinque Terre.
Also after our incredibly long but amazing day of hiking and sight seeing we went out for tiramisu and it was pretty much the best tiramisu I have ever eaten in my entire life.


No comments:

Post a Comment